well, it's been a millennium in journal time since i posted anything. it clichéd to say a lots been going on but it's true. lets go down the list categorically.
drawing / comics:
- my book was delayed after a series of unfortunate events.
- i lost my inker due to personal problems. he was having some social issues so he fled to New York city for a fresh start. inconvenient but understandable.
- my computer died, fortunately i've been expecting that so all my files and pages were well backed up. even more fortunately, my boss was able to give me a newer computer, and i was able to get another copy of Photoshop from a friend of mine. i'm still not completely up and running but i'm at a place where i can move forward.
- i started doing freelance work. small time for now, just testing the waters really. i drawing for a web comic P.C.&P. it's an interesting experience with its good and bad points of course. good points: i get paid! and it's pretty easy so far ( i've only done 2 pages ). bad points: since its not my comic i naturally don't get as much input as i like, and you have to interpret instructions that are some times very vague. i've never done con commissions before but imagine the experience is similar. the writer / patron has an idea in there head that makes complete since to them, but in the excitement of explaining it to you a lot of crucial detail is lost. but like i said i get paid so you know.
- i'm still plugging away on book two. can't say at this point when i'll be done. its frustrating. and i'm not going to get into a pity party because frankly i don't really deserve one. but i've learned a lot of lessons that should make book 3 less frustrating for all involved.
- the gaming landscape is dramatically changing for me.
- been playing a lot of Monster Hunter Tri in my down time between drawings. impressions: the game is not terrible, but swimming is, and its to short. in short ok but not as good as Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. been using the great sword in Tri a lot as opposed to the bow that i rep'd in Freedom. the main difference is simplicity i really don't have to think much about anything. it's all: hit that monster in the head, now move! oh, it's dead now? as opposed to playing underwater which goes like: hit that monster in the head! FUCK!! i can't- where the hell! damnit! where is he, where is he?! FUCK!!! move, move, move, DAMNIT!!!! see the difference?
- i also realized that my days of console gaming are just about over. i know it does sound like it but i just don't have the desire to sit in front of my TV for hours on end. monster hunter's 60 min hunts are about he the limit for me these days. this revelation is huge for me, i was brought up in the era of Japanese RPGs you don't get more vegetative than that! but anyway sub-sequentially i've been looking forward to games coming out on handhelds, something i can play on a train on the way to and from work so i can get my fix and be done.
crap! it's 6 am better gets some winks
|comments: Leave a comment|